The Glen at Crossmount
Aging in Place Community
Crossmount’s Centre for Healthy Aging operates as a centre of excellence in which all aspects of health are able to be met. A special focus is placed first and foremost on preventative strategies for the promotion of health and wellness to enhance individual’s overall quality of life. As well, strong support systems are in place for both the maintenance and management of chronic diseases. At Crossmount, aging-in-place is successful because we provide a safe community, promote health and well-being in a holistic environment, and utilize our on-site health services and community programs to prevent and/or minimize disease. The ultimate goal is independence and optimal health in an environment of respect, dignity, pleasure and place and choice.
Our Wellness Director connects residents to any health services and amenities they may require and provides individualized intervention to allow residents to continue living independently in their homes in a true aging-in-place community. As well, a continuity of care among aging older adults is supported. Wellness and recreation programs focus on improving independence as well as overall quality of life with an emphasis on the following goals:
- Functional Intervention: addressing residents’ functional abilities including physical, social, cognitive, emotional and spiritual wellbeing for continued independent living and successful participation in programming
- Education and Awareness: focusing on the development and acquisition of various skills, attitudes and knowledge to take responsibility for one’s health.
- Participation and Growth: through meaningful program opportunities within the community.
The core programs offered include:
- Fitness & Lifestyle: Providing services and programming that improve and/or maintain physical fitness and functional independence, promote healthy chronic disease management, and help sustain an active lifestyle through endurance, strength, flexibility and balance activities. Offerings include: Forever…in motion exercises classes, walking club, a variety of fitness class options, bocce ball, outdoor game league, Flex & Stretch, tandem style biking, wellness presentations, and the use of the on-site gym facility.
- Social Engagement: Providing programming that promotes a healthy and social lifestyle through supportive and interactive experiences. Offerings include: coffee club, ladies/men’s lunches, cards and organized games, monthly socials, happy hours, and group exercise programs.
- Personal Enrichment: Providing opportunities for creative pursuits, self-directed leisure, and cognitive learning involvement through arts and culture opportunities. Offerings include: Crossmount Camera Club, Wildlife Club, greenhouse workshops, speakers series and tech teaching seminars.
- Community Integration: Providing residents with relevant information and resources for a varied leisure lifestyle that encourages independence, participation, and aging-in-place. Offerings include wellness presentation, speakers series, Crossmount corner newsletter committee, community garden and greenhouse initiatives, and the Crossmount Memory Café!
More About the Crossmount Memory Café:
The Crossmount Memory Café is a social and recreation support program for people living with dementia and their caregivers. It allows participants the opportunity to meet regularly with others who have shared lived experiences while providing strong levels of interaction through activity based sessions. The Café’s mission is to provide a social, supportive, and dementia-friendly network for people living with dementia and their caregivers. The Crossmount Memory Café is hosted twice a month at Crossmount to fill a need for more older adult initiatives for residents of Saskatoon and surrounding areas. During Café Time, participants can enjoy each other’s company and share in conversation over a refreshment and light snack. Following Café Time, participants have the opportunity to engage in a variety of activities and experiences such as live entertainment, cooperative games, outdoor strolls through the Village, low impact fitness activities, creative expression through art and mixed media, sing-a-longs, reminiscing, festive celebrations, intergenerational activities, and more!
Benefits Gained from Participation in the Café:
- Increased confidence with social interaction and participating in group activities
- Increased awareness of support services, resources, and information available to help support people living with dementia and their caregivers, in their community of choice
- Decreased social isolation and feelings of loneliness
- Improvement in all areas of health including physical, social, emotional, cognitive, and spiritual wellbeing through active participation and engagement
- Increased opportunity to practice day to day skills to gain confidence without fear of failure
- Opportunity to provide attending caregiver with respite time while attending the Café
- Enhanced overall quality of life
- Hosted on the 2nd & 4th Tuesday morning of each month
- The Glen at Crossmount (10 Glen Road, Crossmount, SK S7T 0X8)
To register a participant or for more information, please contact:
Crossmount Health & Wellness
Allied Services located on-site in our Centre for Healthy Aging (10 Crossmount Road) and also available to the public include:
- Bayshore Home Health (306-652-3314 ext. 2): Services include: personal support/attendant care, companionship, meal preparation, medication reminders, light housekeeping, nursing, chronic disease management support, serious injury home care/case management, hospital bedside care, and palliative care.
- Guardian Dental Care (306-974-2924): A general practice dental office including the following services: dental hygiene and exams, implants, partial and full dentures, fillings and crowns, invisible braces, oral appliances, and dental emergencies.
- Nomad Therapies (306-382-2939): Home to physiotherapy, occupational therapy, massage therapy, and speech language pathology professionals. Areas of practice include: neuromuscular rehabilitation, senior health, orthopedics, pelvic health, vestibular rehab, TMJ therapy, home assessment, hand therapy, ergonomic assessment, and splinting
- OverC Health (306-934-2535): OverC is a health advocacy company comprised of licensed experienced health care professionals. They offer services to improve the individual’s experience within the Canadian health care system. Their role is to create better management and coordination of ongoing health care interventions and appointments, as well as reduce the load on the individual patient and their families in decision making and health care communications. They also assist in managing the daily hardships associated with physical and/or cognitive disabilities and illness. Their goal is that this assistance will result in better personal health management and ultimately better health. By working together, sharing their knowledge and expertise, building strong relationships, and creating a strong support team for their clients, they are able to fulfill this role and meet this goal.
Creating a community where residents are able to live independently, safely and comfortably, regardless of their age or ability level, allows our residents to achieve the best possible state of health and wellness and maintain it throughout their lives.