An Older Adult Initiative to Support Dementia in the Community
The Crossmount Memory Cafe is a community support program for people living with dementia and their caregivers. It allows participants the opportunity to meet regularly with others who have shared lived experiences while providing strong levels of interaction through activity based sessions. The Café’s mission is to provide a social, supportive, and dementia-friendly network for people living with dementia and their caregivers.
The Crossmount Memory Café is hosted twice a month on-site at Crossmount to fill a need for more dementia friendly initiatives for residents of Saskatoon and surrounding areas. During Café Time, participants can enjoy one another’s company and share in conversation over a refreshment and light snack. Following Café Time, participants have the opportunity to engage in a variety of activities and experiences such as live entertainment, cooperative games, outdoor strolls through the Village, low impact fitness activities, creative expression through art and mixed media, sing-a-longs, reminiscing, self-care pamper days, festive celebrations, inter-generational activities, and more!
Potential Benefits of Participation in the Café:
- Increased confidence with social interaction and participating in group activities
- Increased awareness of support services, resources, and information available to help support people living with dementia and their caregivers, in their community of choice
- Decreased social isolation and feelings of loneliness
- Improvement in all areas of health including physical, social, emotional, cognitive, and spiritual wellbeing through active participation
- Opportunity for maintenance/improvement of transferable skills for day to day living
- Increased opportunity to practice skills to gain confidence without fear of failure
- Opportunity to provide attending caregiver with respite time while attending the Café
- Enhanced overall quality of life
When & Where?
- Hosted on the 2nd & 4th Tuesday morning of each month
- Arts Barn at Crossmount
- Following a participant’s first FREE session, they may choose between an annual fee of $25.00, or a drop-in rate of $5/session
- This cost includes a +1 caregiver or family member to attend with the person living with dementia
- *Transportation to and from the Crossmount Memory Café is the responsibility of participants
TO REGISTER OR FOR MORE INFORMATION, PLEASE CONTACT:
Crossmount Health & Wellness
*Covid-19 dependent, we are hoping to start offering this program in-person this Fall, 2020.
You may register in advance today! Limited program spots available.